Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Those sounds I love to hate

I have been trying a new program for improving my fluency and pronunciation. My friend N is helping me to read aloud "Robinzon Kruzo" in an abridged translation from altun kitab. It cost a mere 2.00 manat. I will hope to share a bit more on this soon, but for now I must say it has underscored my personal difficulty with certain sounds in Azerbaijani. N prepared some sentences and word lists to help me improve. See below (troublesome words in bold). I hope to have a sound file to accompany them soon...

arı
Sarı arı məni sancdı.

ağrı

ağır
ağır idi. [say as though written ağıridi]

arığ

ağac
Bax! Bağda yaşıl ağaclar var.

axır
Mətbəxdə su axır.

axı
Axı sən dedin ki, gədərsən.

üzüm
Üzümdən tər axır.
Mən üzüm yedim.

özüm
Özümdən getdim.
Mən özüm yedim.

üstündə
yüz
yön
ona görə
ora-bura
camaatina





2 comments:

Alef Noon said...

Do you have difficulty with pronouncing all the sounds in words you posted? Or only some of those sounds are difficult? I would assume that sounds like ı or ğ, x, ö, ü would be difficult but not z or a.
Maybe trying tongue twisters would help?

Prof Coline said...

It is the ğ that I find very difficult. Can you post some Azerbaijani tongue twisters?