Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Comparative forms

The first thing in a comparative sentence is what has "more" of the quality referred to.

Examples using adjectives:
O adam məndən hündürdür. / That man is taller than me.
O adam = That man
məndən = than me (from me)
hündürdür = is tall.


Bu otaq o otaqdan balacadır. / This room is smaller than that room.
Bu otaq = This room
o otaqdan = than that room (from that room)
balacadir = is small.

O məndən yaşlıdır. / He is older than me.
O məndən qısaboyludur. / He is a smaller size than me.
O məndən hündürboyludur. / He is a taller size than me.
O məndən alçaqboyludur. / He is a smaller size than me.

Examples using adverbs:
O məndən tez gəldi. / He came earlier than me.
O məndən gec qurtardı. / He finished later than me.
O kamançanı məndən yaxşı çalır. / She plays the kamancha better than I do.
Sən kamançanı məndən çox çalırsan. / You play the kamancha more than I do.
Mən kamançanı səndən az çalıram. / I play the kamancha less than you do.


3 comments:

BK said...

I've just started to study Azeri and I've been disappointed at how few resources there are online so I was so happy to come across your blog. You've done a great job and I hope you keep it up. I think readers would also enjoy learning more about your experiences in Baku and, if you're not a native speaker, your background in the language.

Dmitriy Kovalenko said...

Hi. It's nice there is someone makes such a deal. I also do some researches in the area of Azeri language, so it'd be cool talk a little about it. If you a native speaker you could give some advise. Experiense exchange etc. Here is my email: kueikhan@yandex.ru

Alexander said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.