Monday, July 9, 2012

Song - Axşam Mahnısı

Another beautiful song to sing. I looked it up online. Found two versions.

The wonderful Şövket Elekberova sings this one:
Şövket
However, the recording would have been much better if it was JUST her voice. The angelic choir in the background does nothing to improve the song.

The second is a much faster-paced guitar and percussion version. Nice guitar playing, stylish video, but I think the music is just too fast. You may disagree! It sounds like he is singing the last line of the chorus as "Döyüntünü bilmədi."
Çingiz


My translation follows. All comments welcome! I think this is going to be difficult to translate. The stanza in square brackets is not sung in either version.

I had a very helpful comment from one reader. I checked in my "Azərbaycan Dilinin İzahlı Lüğəti" and sure enough, he was right. Qaş qaranlıq is a phrase that means darkness is settling or falling. 

Qaş qaralır, kölgə tutur
Yavaş-yavaş meşəni.
Könlüm səsdə, gözüm yolda
Gözləyirəm mən səni.

Darkness falls, shadows spread
slowly over the forest.
My heart is listening, my eyes are watching,
As I wait for you.

Nəqərat:
Səbrim getdi, harda qaldı
Qaş qaraldı gəlməyir,
Bəlkə mənim könlümdəki
Döyüntünü bilməyir.

I have lost my patience, where is he?
Night has fallen,
Maybe he can't hear
The beating of my heart.

[Suya düşür budur yaşıl
Yarpaqların kölgəsi.
Ürəyimdən xəbər verir
Ötən quşların səsi.]

[The green leaves throw a shadow
On the water.
Hear what my heart is saying
In the song of passing birds.]

Nəqərat

Aydın göylər, uca dağlar,
Göy meşələr, lal sular
Sizi gördüm ürəyimdə
Aşdı-daşdı arzular.

Clear skies, high mountains,
Dark green forests, silent waters.
I can see you, and now my heart
Is overflowing with desire.

Nəqərat



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, actually here 'qas qaralir' is a phrase which means to grow dusky.

Bəlkə mənim könlümdəki
Döyüntünü bilməyir.
And this part sounds better this way:

Maybe he doesnt know(he is not aware)
my heartbeat( how strong my heart beats)

Prof Coline said...

Very interesting! I will ask Azerbaijani friends to look at this. Thank you so much! Colleen