Wednesday, November 20, 2013

I get grumpy when I miss my lunch!

I am a cheerful, happy person by nature. But one thing that makes me grumpy is to miss my lunch. So, you can understand my having a sense-of-humour failure recently when my lunch went missing from the staff fridge overnight. I wrote up a quick and rather humourless note to post on the fridge but then thought - this is going to be very difficult to translate into Azerbaijani. So... I asked two friends to translate. The first friend did a translation very close to my original rant. The second friend softened the message up with a little more humour.

So, here are the two Azerbaijani versions. See which one you prefer! Can you translate them?

XƏBƏRDARLIQ: Yeməkləri soyuducudan oğurlayırlar. Paylaşmağa razı olduğunuz şeylərdən başqa heç nəyi gecə orada saxlamayın. Bu oğru hər dərə mərhəmət göstərərək yeməyinizin yalnız son dilimini və ya son udumunu növbəti gün nuş etməyiniz üçün sizə saxlayır!

Diqqət! Diqqət!
Bu soyuducudan yeməklər çox müəmmalı bir halda yox olur. Xahiş edirəm, gecə soyuducuda yemək saxlamayın! Əks təqdirdə, səhər lançsız qalma ehtimalınız həddindən artıq yüksəkdir! Həmçinin qeyd etməliyəm ki, lançı götürən şəxs eyni zamanda çox rəhmlidir, çünki o, heç olmasa götürdüyü yeməyin kiçik bir hissəsini boşqabda saxlayır.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Both are very interesting translation. But I think second is much more better.