Monday, July 28, 2008

Accusative case

The suffixes for words in the accusative case are -i4 (for words ending in a consonant) and -ni4 (for words ending in a vowel). See the post on vowel harmony for an explanation of these "to the power of 4" abbreviations.

Some examples of sentences with verbs that take the accusative:

Mən o kişini tanıyıram. I know (am acquainted with) that man.
Mən kişiləri görürəm. I see the men.
but - Mən çoxlu kişi gördüm. I saw some men. If the object is indefinite, use the nominative case.

Mən kitabı oxuyuram. I am reading the book.
but - Mən kitab oxuyuram. I am reading a book. I read books.



Həmişə mən bunu məktəbə aparıram. I always take this to school.
Bunu ona ver. Give this to him.

Mən bir səs eşidirəm. I hear a noise.
Bu səsi eşidirsən? Do you hear the noise?
Mən səni eşitdim. I heard you.
Mən bu xəbəri Moskvada eşitdim. I heard this news in Moscow.

No comments: