Thursday, June 26, 2014

Human body - the long list

I am still going through the Azerbaijani courses on Memrise. Most recently I started a human body list. It is really extensive. If I have to go to the doctor - no time soon I hope, I am sick of doctors! - I will have a lot of medical vocabulary at the ready. Of course I already know the basic body words for eyes, ears, etc. And after breaking my wrist I am very familiar with bilək! However, there were many new words in this list for me. OK, who knows when you will ever have to use the word spleen. But imagine the surprise of people if do happen to throw that into a conversation. Ay daaa! Mənim mədəm agrır, yoxsa bəlkə mənim dalaqım? Great conversation starter, eh?

I would encourage people to go to the website to take this course. I didn't find any mems, so I tried making up a few of my own. Of course, I didn't need one for diş əti - whoa! that's pretty obvious. And nəfəs borusu (breath tube) for bronchus is obvious as well. But dalaq? I imagined venting my spleen at Dal U (my old alma mater). And oynaq (joints)? It's very close to oynamaq and my husband certainly uses his joints when he dances! See how easy this is? Once you start creating mems you just can't stop! Try some yourself with this list from Memrise.

Human body 

baş
head
 
burun
nose

qulaq
ear

alın
forehead

göz
eye

qaş
eyebrow
 
göz qapağı
eyelid

kirpik
eyelash

sima
face, image, personality
  
yanaq
cheek

ağız
mouth

dodaq
lip

diş
tooth
  
diş əti
gum, gingiva
  
damaq
palate, roof of mouth
  
çənə
jaw
  
sırğalıq
earlobe
  
boyun
neck
  
peysər
back of the neck
  
gicgah
temple
  
çiyin
shoulder
  
qol
arm
  
dirsək
elbow
  
bilək
wrist
  
ovuc
palm
  
barmaq
finger, toe
  
dırnaq
nail, hoof
  
dəri
skin, leather
  
sinə
chest
  
tük
body hair
  
qarın
belly, abdomen
  
kürək
back, shoulder-blade
  
bel
waist, shovel
  
qurşaq
waist-band, girdle
  
ayaq
leg
  
diz
knee
  
bud
hip, thigh
  
baldır
calf, shin
  
topuq
ankle
  
pəncə
foot, claw
  
daban
heel
  
sümük
bone
  
əzələ
muscle
  
vətər
tendon, sinew
  
oynaq
joint
  
tüpürcək
spit, saliva
  
damar
vein
  
zülal
protein
  
ürək
heart
  
qara ciyər
liver
  
ağ ciyər
lung
  
nəfəs borusu
bronchus
  
mədə
stomach
  
dalaq
spleen
  
böyrək
kidney
  
bağırsaq
intestine
  
onurğa
spine
  
qabırğa
rib

bağ

ligament, lace, garden

No comments: